Details of the Faculty or Staff
Liu Yan, male Education: doctor
- 1987-1991: the Department of Geology, Chengdu College of Geology, obtained a bachelor of Science degree.
- 1991-1994: majored in Petrology, China University of Geosciences (Beijing), obtained a master's degree.
- 1994-1997: majored in Structural Geology, Institute of Geology, Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences, obtained a doctoral degree.
- 1997-1999: engaged in postdoctoral research in Geophysics Institute, Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences.
1999 - present: work in Institute of Geology, Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences.
September - December, 2001, visiting scholar of Institute of Mineralogy Petrology and Geochemistry, University of Stuttgart.
April - June, 2003, visiting scholar of Institute of Geochemistry, University of Tuebingen.
April 2005, visiting scholar of Institute of Geochemistry, University of Tuebingen.
January - May, 2008, visiting scholar of University of Stuttgart and University of Tuebingen.
January - February, 2009, visiting scholar of University of Stuttgart.
October - November, 2012, visiting scholar of ETH ZurichOctober - December 2015, visiting scholar of University of Stuttgart
Awards and Honors, Academic posts
- Won the DAAD Scholarship awarded by the German Government in 2001.
- Won the Youth Science and Technology Prize of the 3rd China Society on Tibet Plateau in 2001.
- Won the Elio Matacena Excellent Paper Award for the Youth in 2012.
- Won the DAAD Re-visitorship awarded by the German Government in 2015.
- Member of the 8th Committee of Metamorphic Petrology, Chinese Society for Mineralogy Petrology and Geochemistry.
- Member of Geological Society of China.
- Member of Chinese Geophysical Society.
- Member of China Society on Tibet Plateau.
- Member of Germany and Austria Sub-Committee, Western Returned Scholars Association.
Scientific Research Projects
- Depict, within the P-T-fo2 space and in the opening system, the metamorphic process of subducted oceanic crust semiquantitatively, and emphasize that prograde metamorphic and reduction processes promote substances to activate from the subducted oceanic crust and migrate to the overlying mantle wedge, which is conducive to comprehend formation of porphyry type gold-copper deposit and Tambora type vulcanian eruption.
- Raise a point: convert huge amount of CO2 into fluid and seal it in the thick crust of Qinghai-Tibet Plateau finally by physical, chemical and biological ways during the continuous convergence between India and Asia, in order to greatly reduce the concentration of CO2, and finally form the permanent Antarctic ice sheet when the Eocene epoch is changed into the Oligocence epoch (33.5Ma).
- Identify a new type of petrosilex: crust-derived carbonatite.
- Identify high-pressure granulite in the Himalayan orogen, providing the petrology basis for discussion on thick crust evolution history of Qinghai-Tibet Plateau. Reveal genetic contact between crustally derived carbonatite and high-pressure granulite from in Tibet: crustally derived carbonatite + high-pressure granulite = intracontinental subducted continental crust.
- Identify the typical paleo-oceanic crust subduction product from the interior of lhasa block: garnet glaucophane schist shows that the lhasa block is not one traditionally identified iron plate, requiring the disassembly.
- Discover a new subtype mineral: carbon-rich warwickite.
- Liu Y., Santosh M., Yuan T. Y., Li H. Q., Li T. F. 2016 Reduction of buried oxidized oceanic crust during subduction. Gondwana Research 32: 11-23.
- Zhao Z., Bons P. D., Wang G., Soesoo A., Liu Y. 2015 Tectonic evolution and high-pressure rock exhumation in the Qiangtang terrane, central Tibet. Solid Earth 6: 1–17.
- Hu Y. B., Liu J. Q., Ling M. X., Ding W., Liu Y., Zartman R. E., Ma X. F., Liu D. Y., Zhang C. C., Sun S. J., Zhang L. P. Wu K, Sun W. D. 2015 The formation of Qulong adakites and their relationship with porphyry copper deposit: Geochemical constraints. Lithos 220-223: 60-80.
- Zhao Z. B., Bons P. D., Wang G. H., Liu Y., Zheng Y. L. 2014 Origin and pre-Cenozoic evolution of the south Qiangtang basement, Central Tibet. Tectonophysics 623: 52-66.
- Liu Y., Santosh M., Zhao Z. B., Niu W. C., Wang G. H. 2011 Evidence for palaeo-Tethyan oceanic subduction within central Qiangtang, northern Tibet. Lithos 127: 39-53.
- Liu Y., Siebel W., Theye T., Massonne H. –J. 2011 Isotopic and structural constraints on the Late Miocene to Pliocene evolution of the Namche Barwa area, eastern Himalayan syntaxis, SE Tibet. Gondwana Research 19(4): 894-909.
- Ho K. S., Liu Y., Chen J. C., You C. F., Yang H. F. 2011 Geochemical Characteristics of Cenozoic Jining Basalts of the Western North China Craton: Evidence for the Role of the Lower Crust, Lithosphere, and Asthenosphere in Petrogenesis. Terrestrial Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, 22(1): 15-40
- Liu Y., Liu H F., Theye T., Massonne H.-J. 2009 Evidence for oceanic subduction at the NE Gondwana margin during Permo-Triassic times. Terra Nova 21: 195-202.
- Ho K. S., Liu Y., Chen J. C., Yang H. J. 2008 Elemental and Sr-Nd-Pb isotopic compositions of late Cenozoic Abaga basalts, Inner Mongolia: Implications for petrogenesis and an EM2-type mantle source. Geochemical Journal 42: 339-357.
- Liu Y., Siebel W., Massonne H.-J. & Xiao X. 2007 Geochronological and petrological constraints for the tectonic evolution of the central Greater Himalayan Sequence in the Kharta area, southern Tibet. Journal of Geology 115: 215-230.
- Liu Y., Yang Z., Wang M. 2007 History of zircon growth in a high-pressure granulite within the eastern Himalayan syntaxis, and tectonic implications. International Geology Review 49: 861-872.
- Liu, Y., Berner, Z., Massonne, H-J., Zhong, D. 2006 Carbonatite-like dykes from the eastern Himalayan syntaxis: Geochemical, isotopic, and petrogenetic evidence for melting of metasedimentary carbonate rocks within the orogenic crust. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences 26: 105-120.
- Liu Y., Massonne H.-J., Siebel W., Xiao X. 2006 Geological aspects of the eastern Himalayan syntaxis: New constraints from structural, petrologic and zircon SHRIMP data. In: Saklani (ed.) Himalaya (Geological Aspects) 4: 325-338.
- Nozaka, T., Liu, Y. 2002 Petrology of the Hegenshan ophiolite and its implication for the tectonic evolution of northern China. Earth Planetary Science Letters vol. 202: 89-104.
- Nozaka, T., Liu, Y. 2003 Reply to Comment on “Petrology of the Hegenshan ophiolite and its implication for the tectonic evolution of northern China” by M.-F. Zhou, H.-F. Zhang, P.T. Robinson and J. Malpas. Earth Planetary Science Letters vol. 217: 211-217.
- Liu Y.，Zhong Dalai 1998 Tectonic framework of the eastern Himalayan syntaxis. Progress in Natural Science. 8: 366-370.
- Liu Y., Zhong D. 1997 Petrology of high-pressure granulites from the eastern Himalayan syntaxis. Journal of Metamorphic Geology 14: 451-466.
- Liu Yan, Yuan Tingyuan, Wu Liandong, 2016, A Great Eruption of Tambora Mystery: Insights from the Tibetan Eclogites. Chinese Journal of Nature (in press).
- Yuan Tingyuan, Zhao Zhongbao, Zeng Qinggao, Liu Yan, 2016, Petrologic Features of Gemuri Eclogite and Its Tectonic Significances in Northwest of Tibet Acta Petrologica Sinica, 32(12): 3729-3742. (Correspondent).
- Yang Yao, Liu Yan, Wang Xianfeng, Yuan Tingyuan, 2016, Research on Tectonic Evolution of the Southern Qiangtang Basin and its Oil-gas Formation and Preservation Conditions Chinese Journal of Geology, 51(1): 128-148. (Correspondent).
- Yuan Tingyuan, Liu Yan, Zhang Huiming, 2015, Petrologic Features of Garnet Granulite from Dong Tso, Western Pangong Lake - Nujiang River Suture Zone and Its Tectonic Significances. Acta Petrologica Sinica, 31(12): 3663-3673. (Correspondent).
- Hu Yongbin, Liu Jiqiang, Hu Jingren, Ding Xing, Sun Weidong, Liu Yan, Ling Mingxing, 2015, Geochemical Studies on Ore-Bearing Porphyry in Bangpu Polymetallic Deposit, Tibet: Implications on the Diagenetic Area and Metallogenic Mechanism. Acta Petrologica Sinica, 31 (7) 2038-2052.
- Yang Yao, Zhao Zhongbao, Yuan Tingyuan, Liu Yan, Li Congying, 2014, Determination on Ordovician Parallel Unconformity in Qiangtang Terrane, Northern Tibet and Its Tectonic Significances. Acta Petrologica Sinica, 30(8): 2381-2392. (Correspondent).
- Liu Yan, 2013, Petrogenesis of Carbonic Dykes Within Southern Tibetan Plateau and Its Climatic Effects Chinese Journal of Geology, 48(2): 384-405.
- Liu Yan, 2013, Himalaya and Plateau in the Southern Tibet: Storage Area of CO2. Science, 65(2): 33-37.
- Liu Yan, 2012, Deep Carbon Cycling: Enlightenment from Carbonatites Chinese Journal of Nature, Vol. 34, No. 291: 201-207.
- Liu Yan, Nv Yongzeng, 2011, Pseudosection Modelling of Garnet Blueschist from Rongma Area, Central Qiangtang, North Tibet: Implications to the Tectonic Evolution of Central Qiangtang. Earth Science Frontiers, Vol. 18, No. 2: 100-115.
- Xu Zhiqin, Yang Jingsui, Li Haibin, Ji Shaocheng, Zhang Zeming, Liu Yan, 2011, India-Asia Collisional Tectonic Structure Acta Geologica Sinica, Vol. 85, No. 1: 1-33.
- Liu Yan, Wang Meng, 2010, Himalayan Metamorphite and Its Tectonic Features. See: Collisional Orogenics and Effects of Qinghai-Tibet Plateau Written by Xiao Xuchang. Geological Publishing House, Beijing, pp 57-92.
- Liu Hongfei, Liu Yan, 2009, Features and Tectonic Significance of Garnet Glaucophane Blueschist from Pana. Acta Petrologica et Mineralogica, Vol. 28: 199-214. (Correspondent)
- Wang Zhaolin, Hou Zengqian, Yang Zhusen, Tian Shihong, Liu Yingchao, Yang Zhiming, Song Yucai, Liu Yan, Zhang Hongrui, Wang Meng, Lu Haifeng, 2009, Cenozoic Structural Characteristics and relationship between Two Types of Ore Deposits in Zaduo area, Qinghai Mine Geoclogy, Vol. 28, No. 2: 157-169.
- Wang Meng, Liu Yan, He Yanbo, Wei Dong, 2008, Geomorphic Characteristics of the Himalayan Mountains and Its Tectonic Implications: Constraints from SRTM Digital Elevation Model and Precipitation Data. Chinese Journal of Geology, No. 3: 603-622. (Correspondent).
- Liu Yan, Wang Meng, Wang Yanbin, Wei Dong, 2007, Petrogenesis of Amphibolite Facies Garnet Clinopyroxenite from the Mama Valley, Cona County, Southeastern Tibet. Acta Petrologica et Mineralogica, Vol. 26: No. 4 315-320.
- Liu Yan, Wolfgang Siebel, Wang Meng, 2006, Research on Intracontinental Deformation Processes of the Eastern Himalayan Syntaxis. Acta Geologica Sinica, Vol. 80, No. 9: 1274-1284.
- Liu Yan, Siebel W., Li Jian, Xiao Xuchang, 2004, Characteristics of the Main Central Thrust Fault and Southern Tibetan Detachment in the Tingri Area, Southern Tibet, and Ages of Their Activities. Geological Bulletin of China, Vol. 23, No. 7: 636-644.
- Yang Jingsui, Song Shuguang, Xu Zhiqin, Wu Cailai, Shi Rendeng, Zhang Jianxin, Li Haibing, Wan Yusheng, Liu Yan, Qiu Haijun, Liu Fulai, Maruyama, S. 2001, Discovery of Ultrahigh Pressure Coesite in the Northern Margen of Qaidam Basin in the Early Paleozoic Ultrahigh-high Pressure (UHP-HP) Metamorphic Belt. Acta Geologica Sinica, Vol. 75, No. 2: 175-179.
- Liu Yan, Zhong Dalai, Han Xiuling, Zhang Peishan, 2000, C-rich Warwickite From the Eastern Himalayan Syntaxis: A New Variety. Chinese Journal of Geology, No. 2: 245-250.
- Liu Yan, Zhao Shanren, Sun Shihua, 1998, Research Status of Intrusive Carbonatite. See: Review and Outlook of Mineralogy, Petrology and Geochemistry at the Turn of the Century, chiefly edited by Ou Ziyuan. Atomic Energy Press. 131-135.
- Liu Yan, Zhong Dalai, 1998, Petrographic Study and Tectonic Significance of High Pressure Granulite in Eastern Himalaya Area. Chinese Journal of Geology, Vol. 33: 267-281.
- Liu Yan, Zhong Dalai, 1998, Geological Tectonic Framework of Eastern Himalayan Syntaxis. Progress in Natural Science, Vol. 8: 506-509.
- Liu Yan, Ma Zhesheng, Han Xiuling et al., 1997, Astrophyllite Discovered in Nnamjagbarwa Mountain Area, Tibet. Acta Petrologica et Mineralogica, Vol. 16: 337-340.
- Ma Hongwen, Liu Yan, 1996, Ophiolite Suite and Related Igneous Rocks. See: Structural Framework and Evolution of Southwestern Tianshan Written by Liu Benpei, et al. China University of Geosciences Press, Wu Han. 64-88.